- What do you think about love songs?
I think all my songs talk about love in different ways. Love is the essence of all my music. Love guides all my actions and emotions, so I always write music to talk about love or the lack of it.
- How would you describe yourself when you are in love?
When I am in love I am always looking forward to spending every possible second of my day with that person. I am silly, loving, and I enjoy having someone’s company.
- What was the inspiration for your last album?
The inspiration for “Tantas Cosas” was, like the title of the album says, many things. I not only wrote about things that had happened to me but I also would listen to experiences some of my friends had and wrote songs about almost anything. That is why there are many different types of songs, rhythms, and feelings in this album and I love each one of them.
- Some artist use their productions to heal, what do you use your productions personally?
I want everyone to be happy when listening to my music. It doesn’t matter if you are listening to one of my upbeat songs or one of my ballads, I want people to get a “good vibe” from my songs. I write with that idea in mind, so for me is very important to transmit this feeling to others. I want people to feel the love, passion, tenderness or whatever felling I am describing in a positive way.
- If you could have 3 very selfish wishes, what would they be?
1. To have all the people I love close to me all the time, no matter what they have to do, or how far they are.
2. To have 36 hours days, so I could spend at least 6 or 8 hours by myself playing and studying guitar without having to worry about my obligations and the “real world”.
3. To be able to have any instrument I want, any time of the day at my disposition without having to go out and get it.
- Where are you going, what’s the goal with “Como Tu”?
“Como Tu” is the third single from this album and it’s one of my favorite songs. It is a catchy and up-beat song with which I wanted to do something special. That is why we decided to make a music video that allowed me to show a different side of me that the public hadn’t seen before. I am extremely silly and I like to have fun with what I do. I also want people to be able to enjoy something new while I leave to record my next album.
- What’s the concept or story line of the video? Why is the guy respondless? Who came up with the idea?
The whole idea for the video was developed by Milcho, the director. She wanted to come up with something funny, out of the ordinary and make a point of the fact that when you are in love you are totally blinded by the person you are in love with and you don’t necessarily see things the way they are.
In this case, the video shows me totally in love with a guy who doesn’t respond to my actions, silliness, or my flirting. I just happen to be totally into him, maybe because I get to do whatever I want, even getting him to dress to match my clothes and style.
I love this video for many reasons: First of all, I think we did a very funny story with incredible costumes, make up and photography. Secondly because I got to show a “funnier” side of me than in my previous videos (closer to my real personality), and thirdly, because I got a guy to do whatever I wanted him to do without any complaints, at least on a video!!
- What do you think of the music industry transformation in the recent years?
What we are living right now is very interesting. On one hand it is exciting to see how technology has brought music to so many more people. Via internet, through all the available sites and digital sales of music, we can reach places or people that as an independent artist, for instance, you would have never thought possible. On the other hand, the un-appropriate use of technology in cases such as digital piracy has almost destroyed the industry itself. Record stores practically disappeared, Music labels are on the verge of collapsing and everyday the income sources deriving from music, such as songwriters or producers royalties suffer from the lack of sales. We are living a very vicious circle that seems tough to be broken.
- What subject you would never touch in one of your songs?
I don’t think there is a particular subject I wouldn’t talk about in one of my songs or at least I can’t think of one… I know there are many things I haven’t said yet, but I think it’s because I haven’t felt the need to talk about them, not because I’m avoiding any subject on purpose.
Enjoy "Como Tu" and visit www.inesgaviria.com